Homer and Howells Lennox

If you follow me you know how much I love sewing and wearing jumpsuits I even have my own hashtag #jumpsuitqueenjen in my IG highlights you can see over 60 I’ve made.

I pattern tested the #hhinnes top for Nic and Susan Homer and Howells and I got to see their recent pattern realises and I seen the #hhlennox that was due to be released soon. I discovered after drinking a few vinos so with Dutch courage I contacted them saying I would love to pattern test being a bit of an expert in the jumpsuits field.

I was thrilled when they replied thinking it was a great idea and I got to help them prior testing by being sent the toile to try over zoom we discussed the early fitting issues. I must say they had more or less nailed it before I was involved.

As soon as I received the A0 Copy I got straight into cutting out size 14. I used a cotton I bought from Material girl Laura in my signature floral print.

After trying the toile I knew I needed the sleeve for a bicep enlargement. pictures show this process.

The instructions (even before testing) where great and I so chuffed with my first stand up collar.

The full process of sewing was a joy and of course after trying the toile I knew I could jump straight in ( excuse the pun!) it was really straight forward and I love the result.

Button decisions

Loved the result and the fit was great.

Just like me as soon as I’ve made something my mind goes into over drive and I NEED to make it again. I had bought 3 metres of this beautiful velvet curtain material that I was originally going to be a trouser suit but I could imagine this as a #hhlennox

When using velvet especially this one it was important to cut out in the right way to get the colour correct from the nap.

Another issue was this fabric has a thermal white reverse so if I wore the top open you would see this so I had to add a lining. Also sewing I had to use a purple tipped needle usually used for a stretched/knit fabric.

I also checked button holes on a scrap piece of fabric and I really wasn’t happy with the result. I also thought the front placket would be lovely plain. I used Poppers for fastenings these needed adding before sewing the facing down. They worked perfectly and it’s quicker to un do if you’ve left it to ‘spend a penny’

It was also causing thickness so I used lining fabric for the under collar and hand sewn to finish the neckline. Again it was hard to sew thimble was needed.

I’m so pleased I had made it in cotton fabric first otherwise this might have been left as a UFO but I’m over the moon with the result and it was worth all the thought processes.

My lovely photographer friend Nikki invited me to have it pictured with the reindeer shoots she was taking.

My Christmas Day outfit is complete! Even though my house isn’t (another story)

Thank you Susan and Nic I feel so privileged to have been part of this journey with you both.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s