Love affair with Lyra

Thank you for reading my blog on the recent sewing pattern by Tilly and the Buttons #SewingLyra. I have completely been consumed since it’s released. 

My first make was a toile for my next make. I used it to join in with Yvette @Blossomsandwich and her her #FruitSaladSewing challenge. In all my vast stash I didn’t own any that included fruit. I sourced this amazing cherry fabric from Emmas De-Stash. When it arrived I knew it would be perfect for this pattern. 

I was worried that the slippery satin fabric would be a nightmare to sew but it behaved perfectly. I used a Micro-text needle to prevent any snags. The only alterations I made was to add extra length to the bottom tier.

I added a buckle to the belt.

I used the same pattern piece cutting two and added a firmer interfacing to one side. Sewn along leaving a gap to turn I the right way, into the one length (not double and halved as the pattern instructions) Adding Topstitch and sewing the belt buckle in the centre. I bought this vintage find at Selkie Patterns. I had the perfect buttons in my stash by Pigeon Wishes that Meg actually gifted when I had purchased another set from her. She must have known! More images and a reel on my IG grid



OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

The second was inspired by this image I seen in the Grazia magazine.

Shaukat fabrics had posted a picture of a fabric in the same design but 3 colours that I knew would work but I needed 8, I messaged my idea and they were so supportive they offered to gift me the fabrics. They sent a few pics of different fabrics but as soon as I seen the circles I knew. 

Working out how much I needed I drafted up this sketch which helped me to start. I had originally thought the #harrietblouse too the #SewingLyra hadn’t been released at this stage.

Like all great plans it had to evolve. I absolutely love the cutting out stage (yes I know I’m in the minority) I took it stage by stage starting with the bodice. I French seamed each section prior cutting out the pattern pieces. Because the fabric is cotton I ripped each section to the size I wanted.

The only alteration I need was a bicep expansion there are some great online tutorials to follow. This did result in the arm length slightly but it worked out for the matching of the horizontal fabrics.

I’m not a fan of gatherers around the waist area. I feel on me it isn’t flattering so here I used one width of the fabric. Then 1.5 in width, increasing in widths to the last tier has 5 widths. I have a reel on the progress on IG I always think it helps to see things visually.

To gather I used my overlocker by setting  stitch length to 4, differential feed 2. I gathered the full lengths then put the settings back to normal stitch. I found this so much easier.

I extended the front placket added 13 button holes and saved sewing 13 buttons I used denim studs to hammer in place. 

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

Styled with a belt from a FatFace outlet and boots but it looks fab with trainers too! I cannot wait for the warmer weather to wear it. 

Hope you love them as much as me!